Monday, June 4, 2012

A Blogger Overhaul?

I'm thinking of giving this blog something of an overhaul.  I'm not sure what I want to do, but I'm thinking of giving this a new theme.  I'm not sure where to go with that, since I don't like complex themes.  I have a no-frills theme right now, but I've never liked anything too complex.  I've seen blogs with designs and themes that distract from the actual content of the blog, which defeats the purpose of something meant to be read.  After all, why would anybody want to read a blog where the display and theme are more interesting than the posts themselves?

Still, part of me thinks I should have something more here than one of Blogger's generic displays.  Some of the best websites have visual components that "pop" and grab people's attention, and my blog really doesn't have that.

I'm also thinking of changing the name of this blog.  I originally chose a vague title because I wanted this blog to be all-purpose and show content that doesn't have a central theme.  This blog was always meant to be a place where I talk about pretty much whatever was on my mind, so I called it "Herding Cats."  I had hoped that the name would give the impression of someone with a lot on his mind and the ability to express it and not someone who was completely scatterbrained.  Whether or not I've succeeded in the precious few blog posts I've posted here is open to debate, but part of me thinks it's time for a change.  I've noticed that I've written more on social commentary than anything else here, so maybe I'll come up with a title that reflects that.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the few people who actually read, stumble upon, or look up this blog out of pity can expect a change soon.  I don't know when that will happen, but now that I have something resembling a focus for this blog expect it to look more like a place for social commentary.

Since I suck at coming up with names, I'll continue to call this blog "Herding Cats" for now, but I'm open to suggestions of good names for a slightly cynical social commentary blog.  Post any suggestions in the comment area below.

No comments:

Post a Comment